Saturday, April 3, 2010

Basic Musical Terms in American English

As you know, musical vocabulary varies from a country to another. Some musicians already know all of the terms related to theory, solfege, and harmony in their own language, but they are missing key words in American English.

Being an international student when I was studying at Berklee College of Music, I remember wasting a lot of time translating note values, and accidentals while in class, in rehearsals or speaking to other musicians. As I believe this to be a common issue, I decided to put together a few guides to help international musicians learn musical terms used in the United States.

I wanted the guides to be as user friendly and as professional looking as possible so I went to fellow staff member Jonathan Feist for his advice. Jonathan is not only the managing editor of Berklee Press, but he is also a composer, writer, author, and instructor. He authored and continues to teach the online Music Notation Using Finale course at Berkleemusic.com. I was thrilled when he offered his help in assisting me with this project.

Feel free to click on the guides below if you want to print them out!







No comments:

Post a Comment